Starting an Application
Our goal is to keep the application process simple, and to let you know in a timely manner if we can provide funding assistance.
- Funding is available for children aged 5-18 years old
- Funding is paid directly to the applicable sport organization and will not be reimbursed to a parent/guardian
- Funding may only be applied to registration fees and cannot be used for deposits or travel costs associated with the sport
- Applications will be reviewed monthly, on the last day of each month and successful applicants will receive funding within 30 days of this meeting
- There is no limit on the number of applications which can be submitted for a youth in a given calendar year; however, preference will be given to children who have not already received funding
- It is possible for an athlete to receive SportAssist funding for the sport activity even if the athlete has already received funding from another source. This happens in the case where the athlete is not able to obtain full funding for the sport activity solely from one source only
- If funding becomes available from another source, parents must notify SportAssist immediately
- The parent/guardian must notify SportAssist if the child withdraws from the sport for which they were funded
- No application is guaranteed as funds are issued based on availability and the social and financial need of the child
- The child’s parent/guardian and reference must be included in the application
A reference must be a third party who is familiar with the child’s family and is in a professional position.
They cannot be a friend or family member and must be available for contact, if further information is needed. A reference may be one of the following:
- Nurse Physician
- Social worker
- Law Enforcement Officer
- Licensed Childcare Worker
- Lawyer, School
- Guidance Counsellor
- Employer of the Parent or Guardian
- Senior Recreation Administrator
- Member of the Clergy
Other references may also be accepted if accompanied by a letter outlining the circumstances of the family; however, Family Members, Coaches, Registrars or Directors of the Sports Club are not accepted as references.